Official Procedure Last Change May 24, 2021
Motion to Seal Case
How to file:
Location of event:
Things to be aware of when filing: If you only wish to have certain selected document(s) sealed as opposed to an entire bankruptcy case, do not use this event. Instead, follow procedures for Motion to Seal Document.
If you only wish to have certain selected document(s) sealed as opposed to an entire bankruptcy case, do not use this event. Instead, follow procedures for Motion to Seal Document.
For general information on how to request the sealing of a bankruptcy case, consult the court's Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
If the filer contends that the entire case qualifies as “Highly Sensitive” pursuant to General Order 21-0001, contact the Clerk’s office for direction before filing a Motion to Seal Case or the case itself.
Obtaining access to a sealed case
An attorney wishing to obtain access to a sealed case should contact the Clerk via e-mail. A copy of their appearance should be attached.
- The Motion must be signed by the filing party or their attorney.
- A Certificate of Service must be included.
- A proposed order must be uploaded if the Motion is electronically filed, or supplied with the Motion if filed conventionally.
- Both the Motion and proposed order should give a date certain on which the documents will become unsealed, and should specify what should happen to the documents after becoming unsealed. Consult with Chambers to obtain this information.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Seal Case, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
10. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
11. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.