Official Procedure Last Change August 9, 2021
Motion to Extend Time to File Proof of Claim
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Extend Time to File Proof of Claim, Motion to
- This event is used for Chapters 7, 12 and 13 cases pursuant to FRBP 3002(c)(6) to request an extension of time to file a Proof of Claim, beyond the existing claims bar deadline. This event should not be used for Chapter 11 cases.
- This event should not be used to extend the time to file an amended proof of claim. Such an extension should instead be sought using the Motion to Extend Time to File Miscellaneous Documents.
- Motion must be signed by the filing party.
- The claimant name and address must be included in the PDF document.
- A Certificate of Service must accompany the Motion.
- It is not necessary to upload a proposed order - the Court will prepare one.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Extend Time to File Proof of Claim, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
10. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
11. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.