Official Procedure Last Change November 22, 2022
Motion to Extend Time to File Miscellaneous Documents / Installment Payment
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Extend Time to File Miscellaneous Documents/Installment Payment, Motion to
Things to be aware of when filing: This generic extension event should only be used if there is no specific extension event available. (See list of available events
- Pursuant to local rule 9010-1, each attorney representing a party must file a separate appearance for such party. Only those attorneys who have filed an appearance in a pending action shall be entitled to receive service of case documents. Each appearance must be filed as a separate event and failure to file an appearance may result in a Notice of Deficient Filing or other action from the court
- Follow this procedure only to address the need for an extension of time in circumstances not listed below. Your motion will be considered deficient if the correct event is not utilized.
- Motion to Extend Time for Credit Counseling
- Motion to Extend Time to File Adversary Documents or Notice of Extension of Time to File
- Motion to Extend Time to File Initial Documents (Schedules, Plan, Etc.)
- Motion to Extend Time to File Complaint
- Motion to Extend Time to File Chapter 11/12 Plan, Obtain Confirmation and/or Extend Exclusivity
- Motion to Extend Automatic Stay
- Motion for Extension of Time to File Transcript
- Motion to Defer Discharge
- Motion to extend time to file a Chapter 12 plan (the Motion to Extend Exclusivity Period/Deadlines event should be used instead)
- Motion must be signed by the filing party.
- A Certificate of Service must accompany the Motion.
- It is not necessary to upload a proposed order - the Court will prepare one.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select File Miscellaneous Documents/Installment Payment, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
10. If filing on an installment fee case, you are asked if you are seeking to extend the time to pay an installment. Select the appropriate radio button and click Next. If you selected Yes, skip to step 15.
11. Check box Refer to existing event(s)? and click Next.
12. Click Next.
13. Check box next to document to which the Motion to Extend Time relates and click Next.
14. Enter name of document you need extended time to file.
15. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
16. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
17. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.