Official Procedure Last Change June 2, 2017
Motion to Restrict Public Access
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Restrict Public Access Pursuant to Sec. 107, Motion to
Things to be aware of when filing: If seeking to remove personal identifiers (such
- A Motion to Restrict Public Access is used when a filer wishes to restrict access to a document to court staff only.
- The Court will then restrict access to the document named in the Motion. The associated docket text (not the PDF) will remain visible to all users.
- If a filer wishes to remove personal identifiers (such as Social Security numbers account or numbers) from a document, a Motion to Redact a Previously Filed Document should be used instead.
- The Motion must be signed by the filing party or their attorney.
- The Motion to Restrict must make clear exactly which document or attachment to the document is to be restricted.
- A Certificate of Service must be included.
- A Redaction filing fee is due for each affected case, if seeking to remove personal identifiers from a document.
- Do not upload a proposed order - the Court will prepare one.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Restrict Public Access Pursuant to Sec. 107, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
10. Select appropriate radio button and click Next.
- If you indicated that you are seeking to hide a claim, a list of all claims filed on the case is displayed. Click on the claim that you are seeking to hide, then click the Next button at the bottom of the page (you may need to scroll down to see this button). Note: If you have already filed an amended claim, this is the claim that will appear in the list. Select that amended claim - when the Court removes the document, they will ensure that the original claim, not the amended claim, is removed.
- If you indicated that you are seeking to hide a case document, a list of documents filed on the case is displayed. Check the box next to the document which your Motion seeks to hide and click Next.
11. Select the appropriate radio button and click Next.
Note: If you select the personal identifiers radio button, a redaction filing fee will be charged.
12. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
13. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
14. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.