Official Procedure Last Change December 1, 2015
Motion to Extend Time for Credit Counseling
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Extend Time for Credit Counseling, Motion to
A Motion to Extend Time for Credit Counseling is used when the debtor wishes to extend the deadline set by the court for the filing of the credit counseling certificate. For example, when the debtor checked the second box in question 15 of the voluntary petition to indicate that credit counseling had been obtained prior to filing the petition but the certificate was not yet in their possession, and the deadline to file such is looming.
It should not be used if credit counseling was not obtained prior to filing the petition. In such an instance, the third or fourth box must be checked in question 15 of the voluntary petition, and a Motion Requesting Temporary or Permanent Waiver of Credit Counseling Requirement must be filed.
- Motion must be signed by the filing party.
- A Certificate of Service must accompany the Motion.
- It is not necessary to upload a proposed order - the Court will issue one.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Extend Time for Credit Counseling, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
9. Browse to attach the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.
10. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
11. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.