Official Procedure Last Change January 20, 2023
Motion Requesting Waiver of Personal Financial Management Course Requirement
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Financial Management Course Requirement, Motion Requesting Waiver of Personal
If a debtor wishes to request a waiver of the Financial Management course requirement due to incapacity or disability per 11 USC Sec 109(h), active military duty in a military combat zone, or some other reason, a motion requesting waiver must first be filed using the instructions below. Once the court has entered an order granting the Motion, a Certification of Financial Management Course (Form 423) must be filed, checking the appropriate boxes.
- The Motion must be signed by the filing party or their attorney.
- A Certificate of Service must be included.
- It is not necessary to upload a proposed order - the court will prepare one.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Financial Management Course Requirement, Motion Requesting Waiver of Personal from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
10. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
11. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.