Electronic Self-Representation (eSR)
Bankruptcy Petition Preparation System for Chapter 7 Cases
THIS ONLINE TOOL IS FOR SELF-REPRESENTED DEBTORS ONLY
Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences - hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended. The Bankruptcy Court is not permitted to provide legal advice. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are still responsible for knowing and following all legal requirements. Information on free or low cost legal resources are available here and here.
What is eSR?
- eSR is an online tool to help individuals complete a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney.
Who can use eSR?
- Individuals who wish to file a bankruptcy petition and who live within the Southern District of Indiana can use eSR. Click here to determine if you live within one of the counties located within the Southern District of Indiana.
- eSR is not designed for business or corporate bankruptcy filings. eSR is only available for individual chapter 7 filings.
Why use eSR?
- There is no cost to use eSR. Pay only the chapter 7 bankruptcy filing fee.
- eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you up to 45 days to complete your package and submit it to the Bankruptcy Court.
- Your personal information is only accessible to you using a unique login and password.
- eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
- There is no software to download or purchase.
How do I use eSR?
- Obtain credit counseling from an approved credit counseling agency, a list of which is found here. The law requires credit counseling before filing bankruptcy.
- Collect all your financial documents before you begin.
- Create a user profile, unique login, and password.
- Answer questions about your property, income and debts.
- Complete and sign the eSR Declaration, Statement About Your Social Security Numbers and Verification of Creditor List forms that you will receive in the confirmation email.
- Hand deliver or mail the completed Declaration, Statement of Social Security Number statement and Verification of Creditor List forms, the chapter 7 filing fee OR a completed Application to Pay in Installments OR a completed Application to Waive the Chapter 7 Filing Fee (if applicable), and the Certification of Credit Counseling to one of the Bankruptcy Court's locations.
- Important Notes:
- If Official Form 101A - Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You is part of this bankruptcy petition package, you are required to serve a copy of this form on your landlord when you complete the instructions for filing for bankruptcy.
- A bankruptcy petition is NOT considered “filed” (and does not receive a case number) until all of the above listed documents are received and processed by the Bankruptcy Court.
- eSR only allows a one-time submission. Any schedules or statements not completed at the time the eSR package is submitted cannot be completed later using eSR. All subsequent pleadings and amendments must be filed on paper by submission to one of the Bankruptcy Court's locations.
- If you are filing bankruptcy to delay or stop a foreclosure action on your home, it is very important for you to understand that the submission of a Bankruptcy Package does not mean that your case has been filed. You will not receive a case number until the Bankruptcy Court receives the additional items above which are required to complete your filing.
Additional Steps After eSR Submission
- Pay stubs - Within 14 days of filing of a new bankruptcy petition, the Debtor(s) must file copies of all payment advices or other evidence of payment, if any, received by the debtor from an employer within 60 days before the filing of the petition. See the Bankruptcy Court's Procedure Manual for more information.
- Debtor Education - All individual debtors in a chapter 7 case are required to file a statement regarding completion of a course in personal financial management as a condition for receiving a discharge, unless the Bankruptcy Court has granted a waiver of this requirement. See the Bankruptcy Court's Procedure Manual for more information.
eSR Computer Requirements
- Internet connection.
- Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher).
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled.
- Browser requirements - It is recommended that you use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari.
Click here to use eSR.
- For technical and procedural assistance on eSR, please contact the Bankruptcy Court at firstname.lastname@example.org.