Official Procedure Last Change January 23, 2014
Motion for Authority
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Authority, Motion for
Things to be aware of when filing: This event should only be used if no other option is available in ECF.
The Motion for Authority option can be used only when no other option is available in ECF. How do I know if there is a specific option available to use? If you attempt to file a document using Motion for Authority where a more specific menu option is available, the Court may issue a Notice of Deficient Filing.
- The Motion must be signed by the filing party or their attorney.
- A Certificate of Service must be included.
- A proposed order must be uploaded.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Authority, Motion for from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
9. Browse to attach the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.
10. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
11. Select prefix text, if applicable. Enter in the text box a description of the motion - this will be placed after "Motion for Authority" in the final docket text. Example: Motion for Authority to Restrict Access to Reports. Click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.