Official Procedure Last Change December 5, 2013
Motion to Seal Document
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Seal Document, Motion to
Things to be aware of when filing: The documents to be sealed must not be attached to the Motion to Seal.
- Any party wishing to file a sealed document must file a Motion to Seal Document prior to filing said pleading.
- Upon approval of a Motion to Seal Document, documents are filed electronically using the Sealed Documents event.
- Additional information about filing documents under seal can be found in the ECF Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
- The documents to be sealed must not be attached to the Motion to Seal. These should be filed separately once the Order Granting Motion to Seal has been entered.
- The Motion must be signed by the filing party or their attorney.
- A Certificate of Service must be included certifying that the Motion to Seal was served on the debtor or debtor's attorney, the Trustee and the US Trustee.
- No proposed order need be uploaded - the court will prepare one.
- The Motion should give a date certain on which the documents will become unsealed, and should specify what should happen to the documents after becoming unsealed. Contact Chambers if guidance is needed as to directions for unsealing the document.
If you wish to have the entire case kept under seal, as opposed to filing some selected document(s) under seal, do not use this event. Instead, follow procedures for Motion to Seal Case.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Seal Document, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
9. A warning message is displayed. Click Next.
11. If you are filing this Motion prior to filing the sealed document: Click Next.
If you are filing this Motion to seal a document that has previously been filed:
- Check the box and click Next.
- Select the category of the document that you are seeking to seal. If you are not sure, leave all categories selected. Click Next.
- Select the box next to the docket event to which the motion relates and click Next.
12. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
13. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
14. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.