Official Procedure Last Change May 12, 2016
Application for Payment of Administrative Expenses or Administrative Claim
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Administrative Expenses Pursuant to Sec. 503, Application for Payment of
Things to be aware of when filing: This event is only used when seeking payment of administrative expenses or claim pursuant to 11 USC 503. Applications for compensation pursuant to 11 USC 330 should be filed using the Application for Compensation event.
This event is used when seeking payment of an administrative expense, as more fully explained in 11 U.S.C. Section 503. Trustees, examiners, and professionals working for the estate may not have an administrative expense - and therefore should not use this event - until the Court awards compensation and reimbursement of expenses. Those parties should ensure both that their employment has been approved by the Court and that their fees and expenses have been awarded pursuant to a separate application.
Per section 348(d) of the Bankruptcy Code, claims against the estate arising after filing but before conversion ("post petition debts") are treated as if they arose before filing unless the claim is filed as an administrative expense under Section 503(b). Post-petition creditors wishing to file a claim for an administrative expense must first file an Application for Payment of Administrative Expense or Administrative Claim, then after the Court has entered an order approving, file a Proof of Claim, entering the amount into the Administrative box.
- The Application must be signed by the filing party.
- A certificate of service must be included.
- The Application must identify professional and amount of expenses incurred.
- Do not include an objection deadline in the Application - the court will prepare and distribute an objection notice if one is needed.
- Filing party is responsible for uploading a proposed order.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Administrative Expenses Pursuant to Sec. 503, Application for Payment of from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
10. Enter name of party requesting payment and amount requested (numbers only - do not enter a dollar sign. E.g. type 1164.94 for $1164.94). Click Next.
11. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.
12. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.
13. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.