You are here

Motion for Proceedings Supplemental

Official Procedure Last Change October 13, 2017

Motion for Proceedings Supplemental

How to file:

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Proceedings Supplemental, Motion for

Things to be aware of when filing: A Motion for Proceedings Supplemental can only be filed by a debtor or trustee, not a creditor.

General Information

  • A Motion for Proceedings Supplemental can be filed by a trustee or debtor who wishes to enforce a money judgment for the benefit of the estate. It cannot be filed by a creditor.
  • Examples of when a Motion for Proceedings Supplemental might be filed:
    • Where the Trustee or Debtor as the plaintiff in an adversary proceeding has obtained a judgment such as on a fraudulent transfer or preference action.
    • In a bankruptcy case, where the Trustee had already obtained an order for turnover.
  • It is not necessary to move to reopen either the legal case or adversary in order to file a Motion for Proceedings Supplemental, as this is considered an administrative matter.

Filing requirements

  • The Motion must be signed by the filing party.
  • A certificate of service must be included.
  • Filing party is responsible for uploading a proposed order.

Step-by-Step Instructions

1. Log into CM/ECF.

2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs.

3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.

4. Select Proceedings Supplemental, Motion for from the event list and click Next.

5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.

6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.

7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.

Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.

8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.

Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.

9. Browse to attach the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.

10. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next.

11. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.

Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended.

12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.

Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.

13. Upload proposed order.