Official Procedure Last Change December 1, 2020
Statement of Corporate Ownership
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Schedules/Statement of Financial Affairs/Initial Required Documents > Corporate Ownership Statement
Things to be aware of when filing: Use of the Court's sample forms is recommended.
- Any debtor, plaintiff or defendant that is not an individual or a governmental unit must file a Statement of Corporate Ownership, even if they are not a corporation.
- Information provided on the corporate ownership statements is used by the Court’s automated conflicts checking program to alert the Judges to any potential conflicts of interest.
- If the debtor is a party to an adversary case, they do not have to file a Statement of Corporate Ownership on that adversary case, since they should have already filed one on the bankruptcy case.
- The Statement can be filed in the same PDF as the Petition, Complaint or Answer to Complaint. If this was not done, the step-by-step instructions below should be used to file the Statement as a separate docket entry.
- Use of the Court's sample forms is recommended:
- The Statement must be signed by the party to whom the Statement refers or by their attorney.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Schedules/Statement of Financial Affairs/Initial Required Documents.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Corporate Ownership Statement from the event list and click Next.
5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys, click Next.
6. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
7. Browse to select the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.
8. Enter the name of the first corporate parent/affiliate as shown on the Statement and click Search.
Note: If there are no corporate parents/affiliates listed on the Statement, click End Corporate parent / affiliate selection and skip to Step 14.
9. A list of all parties that match your search criteria is displayed.
- If the correct party appears, click to highlight it and click Select name from list.
- If the correct party is not displayed, click Create new corporate parent / affiliate.
Note: The address of the corporate parent or affiliate does not get entered into CM/ECF. The name alone is sufficient.
10. Select either corporate parent or corporate affiliate from the drop down box, as applicable. If the party name as shown is a business, leave the Entity box checked. If it is an individual, uncheck the Entity box.
11. Click Add corporate parent / affiliate.
12. A list of all parties on the case is displayed. Select the party that the corporate parent or affiliate relates to and click Next.
13. If your Statement has other corporate owners/affiliates listed, repeat from Step 8. Otherwise, click End corporate parent / affiliate selection.
14. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
15. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.