Official Procedure Last Change December 1, 2015
Certificate of Credit Counseling
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Schedules/Statement of Financial Affairs/Initial Required Documents > Credit Counseling Certificate
Per 11 U.S.C. 521(b), an individual debtor shall file a certificate from an approved non-profit budget and credit counseling agent that provided the debtor services under section 109(h) describing the services provided to the debtor.
In joint cases, each debtor is required to complete the credit counseling and file a certificate.
For joint cases, the Certificates of Credit Counseling for each debtor can be filed together in the same docket entry, either in the same PDF or as two attachments. It is also acceptable to file them as two separate docket entries.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Credit Counseling Certificate from the event list and click Next.
5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys, click Next.
6. Click to highlight the debtor(s) for whom the Certificate is being filed and click Next. You must select both debtors if you are intending to include the certificates for both debtors in this filing. To select both debtors, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on each debtor name.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
8. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
9. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.