You are here

Notice of Address Unavailability

Official Procedure Last Change August 5, 2016

Notice of Address Unavailability

How to file: 

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Notices & Certifications > Unavailable Address, Notice of

Things to be aware of when filing: Ensure that the unavailable address is stated.

General Information

  • It is the responsibility of the debtor/debtor's attorney to provide a Notice of Change of Address when the information is available for parties listed on the petition. However, if the address is unattainable and the mail has been returned,  debtor/debtor's attorney can file a Notice of Address Unavailability. This notification will prevent any future notices from being sent to an undeliverable address.
  • A Notice of Address Availability pertaining to a party on a case must be submitted in writing by  the debtor, the trustee or the party who currently is receiving the mail in error. The Court will not accept an address notification on a bankruptcy case via telephone call.
  • If an address that was previously undeliverable is located, see separate procedure on Change of Address.

Filing requirements 

  • Use of the Court's sample form is recommended.
  • Form must be signed.
  • The unavailable address should be included. Without the inclusion of the prior/incorrect address, it may be impossible for the court to determine which address should be excluded from future notifications, in which case the old address will continue to receive notices from the court.
  • More than one creditor/party can be included in the Notice if desired.

Step-by-Step Instructions

1. Log into CM/ECF.

2. Select Bankruptcy > Notices & Certifications.

3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.

4. Select Unavailable Address, Notice of from the event list and click Next.

5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys, click Next.

6. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.

Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.

7. Browse to select the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.

8. Enter name of the creditor or party whose address is unavailable and click Next. (More than one creditor or party can be entered, if such is reflected on your Notice of Address Unavailability.)

9. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.

10. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).

Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.