Official Procedure Last Change December 1, 2020
Power of Attorney
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Miscellaneous > Power of Attorney
A petition filed by an attorney-in-fact shall be accompanied by a copy of the power of attorney authorizing the signer to act on behalf of the Debtor. The power of attorney shall be either a general power of attorney authorizing the attorney-in-fact to take any action which the principal could take or a special or limited power of attorney authorizing the attorney-in-fact to file the petition.
- The power of attorney must be signed by the principal and properly notarized.
- The attorney-in-fact’s name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address must be stated.
- The power of attorney must be filed as a separate document, using this event. It should not be included in the same PDF when filing other documents.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Miscellaneous or Adversary > Miscellaneous.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Power of Attorney from the event list and click Next.
5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
6. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
7. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
9. If the Power of Attorney relates to another document on the docket:
- Check the Refer to existing event(s)? box and click Next.
- At the category selection screen, click Next.
- Select the document to which the Power of Attorney relates.
10. Click Next.
11. Final docket text is displayed. Click Next.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.