Official Procedure Last Change December 1, 2022
Power of Attorney
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Miscellaneous > Power of Attorney
The first document filed by an attorney-in-fact in a case shall be accompanied by a copy of the Power of Attorney authorizing the signer to act on behalf of the filing party. The power of attorney shall be either a general power of attorney, authorizing the attorney-in-fact to take any action which the principal could take, or a special or limited Power of Attorney, authorizing the attorney-in-fact to file the petition.
An attorney-in-fact that files a petition on behalf of a Debtor shall appear at the Meeting of Creditors to respond to trustee inquiries regarding commencement of the case.
- The power of attorney must be signed by the principal and properly notarized.
- The attorney-in-fact’s name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address must be stated.
- The power of attorney must be filed as a separate document, using this event. It should not be included in the same PDF when filing other documents.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Miscellaneous or Adversary > Miscellaneous.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Power of Attorney from the event list and click Next.
5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
6. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
7. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
8. Browse to attach the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.
9. If the Power of Attorney relates to another document on the docket:
- Check the Refer to existing event(s)? box and click Next.
- At the category selection screen, click Next.
- Select the document to which the Power of Attorney relates.
10. Click Next.
11. Final docket text is displayed. Click Next.
12. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.