Official Procedure Last Change November 9, 2020
Motion to Redact a Previously Filed Document (Limited Users)
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Limited Users >Redact a Previously Filed Document
Things to be aware of when filing: Use of the court's sample form is recommended.
This procedure is for limited users only. See separate procedure if you are an attorney filer.
- It is the responsibility of filers to keep personal identifiers out of documents filed, which include not only initial case documentation like the petition and schedules but also any subsequent documents which become available electronically. Personal identifiers that should not appear in documents are:
- Social Security numbers
- Financial account numbers
- Names or dates of birth of minor children
- If it is discovered that documents have been filed that contain such information, a Motion to Redact a Previously Filed Document can be used to request the Court to remove the document from public view. The Court cannot redact a document once filed.
- Once filed, the Motion itself and the document selected by the filer are restricted. The associated docket entries remains visible to all users.
- See separate instructions for requests to remove documents containing personal identifiers in a large number of cases.
- If you are seeking to remove a document for the purpose of limiting or restricting discovery, you will need to file a Motion for Protective Order Pursuant to Fed.R.Bankr.P.9037.
- If you seek to hide a document that you previously filed, you will first need to file an amended version of that document with the personal identifiers removed, then file a Motion to Redact using the instructions below. If you are seeking to remove a Chapter 13 Plan, you should file a replacement plan as either Corrected or Amended Plan. If you are seeking to restrict access to a motion or application that has already been ruled on, you should file the replacement using the Notice of Submission event. Otherwise, it should be re-filed as an amended or corrected motion/application.
- A Redaction of Personal Identifiers filing fee is due for each affected case if the document to be restricted was filed by the movant. No fee is due if the document to be restricted was filed by another party.
- Use of the court's sample form is recommended.
- •The Motion to Redact must make clear exactly which document or attachment to the document is to be removed. Note that if different parts of a document are contained within one PDF, only the entire PDF can be removed, not just certain pages of it.
- Motion must be signed by the filing party.
- A Certificate of Service must accompany the Motion.
- Do not upload a proposed order - the Court will prepare one.
- If wishing to file a motion to redact on a closed case, it is not necessary to file a motion to reopen, nor to pay a reopening fee. The Motion to Redact will be processed by the court even though the case is closed.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. File an amended version of the document that contained the personal identifiers.
3. Select Bankruptcy > Limited Users.
4. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
5. Select Redact a Previously Filed Document, Motion to from the event list and click Next.
6. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
7. A warning notice is displayed. Click Next.
9. Select appropriate radio button and click Next.
10. If you selected Yes (to indicate that you are seeking to hide a claim), a list of all claims filed on the case is displayed. Click on the claim that you are seeking to hide, then click the Next button at the bottom of the page (you may need to scroll down to see this button).
Note: If you have already filed an amended claim, this is the claim that will appear in the list. Select that amended claim - when the Court removes the document, they will ensure that the original claim, not the amended claim, is removed.
If you selected No (to indicate that you are seeking to hide any other type of document), a category list is displayed. Click Next, then check the box next to the document which your Motion seeks to hide and click Next.
11. Fee amount is displayed. Click Next.
12. Final docket text is displayed for review. Click Next.
13. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.