You are here

Change of Address

Official Procedure Last Change June 1, 2010

 Change of Address (limited users)

How to file: 

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Limited Users > Change of Address, Notice of


This procedure is for limited users only. See separate procedure if you are an attorney filer.

General Information

The Court cannot change an address on a bankruptcy case simply because it has been advised of a new address via a phone call or a yellow label on mail returned by the USPS. Therefore, any Change of Address of any party or creditor on a case must be submitted in writing by the debtor, the trustee, or the party whose address has changed. The plaintiff in an adversary proceeding may also file a change of address for a defendant who has not yet filed a responsive pleading.

It is not necessary for a creditor to file changes of address for all the cases in which they are listed. The creditor can simply submit their new address to the National Creditor Registration Service, which will ensure that all mail to that creditor from then on, from any Bankruptcy Court and on any case, is sent to that address.

If a change of address is filed on a case that has a pending adversary proceeding, the address will not be changed on that adversary proceeding unless a change of address is filed on the adversary case also.

Users who are electronic filers and who wish to submit a change of address for themselves do not need to file a Change of Address on one or all of their active cases. Instead, they should change their address on using Modify Your Account. This change will automatically be applied to all relevant cases.

Filing requirements 

  • The Change of Address must be signed by the filing party.
  • The prior address as well as the corrected address should be included. Without the inclusion of the prior/incorrect address, it may be impossible for the court to determine which address should be changed, in which case the old address will continue to receive notices from the court in addition to the new address.
  • A Change of Address of a creditor (unless filed by the creditor themselves) must be accompanied by a Certificate of Service showing service of the Notice of Change of Address to Creditors with New or Corrected Address, Notice of Meeting of Creditors with full Social Security Number shown and any other documents that have already been sent out to all creditors, such as the most recent Chapter 13 Plan, Notice of Confirmation Hearing, etc. to the creditor at the new address. See sample Change of Address form.  If the creditor has already received the Notice of Meeting of Creditors at their old address, a Statement in Lieu of Notice must be filed instead of the Certificate of Service.
  • If debtor receives return mail for any creditor or party and is unable to determine a correct address for them, the Debtor should file a Notice of Address Unavailability, specifying the creditor’s name and reporting that a correct address cannot be located. Upon the filing of such a notice, the court will code the address so that no further notices or orders are sent to that creditor or party in interest.

Step-by-Step Instructions

1. Log into CM/ECF.

2. Select Bankruptcy > Limited Users.

3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.

4. Select Change of Address, Notice of from the event list and click Next.

5. Enter name of party filing the document and click Next.

6. Browse to select the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.

7. If applicable, insert text in text box. Click Next.

8. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).

Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.