Official Procedure Last Change May 31, 2018
Objection to Claim
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Claims > Claim Events > Objection to Claim
Things to be aware of when filing: Use of the court's sample combined objection and notice form is encouraged.
- This event is to be used when objecting to a single claim for a reason other than those filed pursuant to FRBP 3007(d).
- For an objection to a secured claim, a request to determine the amount of the secured claim may be included in the Objection.
- If an affected claimant does not agree with the objection, they can file a Response to Objection to Claim before the response deadline. The court will then set a hearing on the issue.
- If no response is filed before the response deadline, the court will enter an order sustaining the objection. If a party wishes to have that order reconsidered, they can file a Motion to Reconsider Order on Claim(s).
- The objection must be signed by the filing party.
- A 30 day response notice must be included. The notice may be included in the body of the objection or filed separately using the Objection to Claim(s) Notice event.
- Use of the court's sample combined objection and notice form is encouraged.
- A Certificate of Service must be included showing service on the affected claimant and all parties of interest. View sample
- Filing party is responsible for uploading a proposed order. View sample
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > Claims > Claim Events.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Objection to Claim from the event list and click Next.
5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys, click Next.
6. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
7. A reminder notice is displayed. Click Next.
Note: Any supporting documents, response notice or Certificate of Service may be added as an attachments to this document.
9. Click to select the claim to which you are objecting and click Next.
10. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether the response notice is included or will be filed separately and click Next.
Note: Choose the Notice is attached to this event option if you attached the notice in step 8, or if the notice is included in the same PDF as the Objection.
11. If you indicated that the response notice is included:
a. Enter the date that notice was served (which may be different from the date you are filing it) and click Next.
b. The response deadline is calculated and displayed. Click Next.
12. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
13. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.