Official Procedure Last Change December 1, 2022
Motion for More Definite Statement
How to file:
Location of event: Adversary > Motions & Briefs > More Definite Statement, Motion for
A party may move for a more definite statement when a complaint, counterclaim, cross-claim or third-party complaint is vague or ambiguous.
- The Motion must be signed by the filing party or their attorney.
- Brief in Support
- A Certificate of Service must be included.
- It is not necessary to upload a proposed order - the court will prepare one.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Adversary > Motions & Briefs.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select More Definite Statement, Motion for from the event list and click Next.
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next.
Note: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
9. Browse to attach the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.
10. Select the docket entry to which the Motion relates and click Next.
11. Select if the brief in support is attached or will be filed separately. Click Next.
12. (If a brief in support is attached) Enter the date the motion and brief were served. Click Next. The Response Brief due date is calcualted. Click Next.
11. (If an amended motion). Select the motion that is being amended. Click Next.
12. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Application you are filing is amended.
13. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.