Official Procedure Last Change November 15, 2016
Chapter 7 Voluntary Petition (Individual/ Consumer Debt)
Click here for complete filing requirements according to chapter.
Except on the Debtor’s Statement of Social Security Statement, the Debtor’s and/or Joint Debtor’s Social Security Number must be redacted before filing any document with the court.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
2. Select Bankruptcy > File Voluntary Bankruptcy Case.
3. Complete petition information screen. Click Next.
4. Enter Debtor’s/ Joint Debtor’s name or SSN. Click Search.
Note: The party name cannot be in ALL CAPITALS, and cannot be longer than 50 characters.
5. Select Create New Party.
6. Enter all Debtor/ Joint Debtor information.
7. Click Alias to add any aliases.
8. Click Corporate Parent / affiliate to add any corporate parent or affiliate.
9. Click Review to proof added information. Click Return to Party Screen after review.
10. Click Submit. (If petition contains a joint debtor, repeat steps 4 - 10.)
11. Assigned divisional office is displayed. Click Next.
12. Complete statistical information and click Next.
13. A notice is displayed. Click Next.
14. If you previously indicated that this filing has deficiencies: Check all applicable boxes and click Next.
15. Complete amounts in Summary of Schedules (if known) and click Next.
16. Enter all statistical information requested and click Next.
17. Select appropriate option for Presumption of Abuse.
If debtor is claiming exclusion as a member of the National Guard or Reserves:
Not a joint case: Choose No
If both debtors are claiming the exclusion, choose No
If only one debtor is claiming the exclusion and there is no presumption of abuse for the other debtor, choose No
If only one debtor is claiming the exclusion and there is a presumption of abuse for the other debtor, choose Yes
18. Browse to select the document to be filed and click Next.
19. Verify fee information.
20. Click Next then Next.
21. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.