Official Procedure Last Change April 25, 2012
Involuntary Summons Certificate of Service
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > File Involuntary Bankruptcy Case & Pleadings > File Pleadings in Involuntary Case > Involuntary Summons Certificate of Service
- Once the court has prepared and docketed the summons, the petitioning creditor is responsible for serving a copy of the summons on the debtor. Once this has been done, the party that served the summons must file a certificate of service using the instructions below.
- CM/ECF automatically calculates the due date for the debtor's answer to be filed as 21 days after the date service was made.
- The Certificate of Service should indicate:
- the party or parties served,
- the date service was made,
- the name of the person making the service, and
- the method of service.
- The Certificate of Service should be signed, along with a statement under penalty of perjury that the information is true and correct.
- The Involuntary Summons Service Certificate of Service event must be used, not the regular Certificate of Service event. If the Summons could not be served on any of the required parties, the Involuntary Summons Service Unexecuted event should be used to indicate which parties were not served.
1. Log into CM/ECF.
3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.
4. Select Involuntary Summons Certificate of Service from the event list and click Next.
5. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
7. Enter the date service was made, as shown on the Certificate of Service, and click Next.
8. Due date for involuntary answer is calculated and displayed. Click Next.
9. Check box(es) next to appropriate docket entry to which this filing relates and click Next.
10. If applicable, select prefix text and/or insert text in text field, then click Next.
11. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit.
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.