You are here

DeBN Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Requirements Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Request Form

When can I enroll in DeBN?
A debtor can enroll in DeBN at any time during the pendency of their case.  A debtor may also request deactivation of their account at any time.

When are emails sent?
Emails will be sent by the BNC in the evening on the same day a notice or order is issued by the Court in your case.

Will I receive all documents via email?
No; only notices and orders issued by the Court and sent to the BNC for service upon you will be delivered via email.  All other parties, such as the trustee and creditors, will continue to serve documents upon you either via U.S. mail or in person pursuant to Court rules.

Can I request receipt of notices both via email and U.S. mail?
No; a party only has the option to receive notices either by email or U.S. mail.

Can others see my email address?
Your email address will not be shown on the caption of the case docket, and your DeBN request form will not be visible to the public for viewing.  However, the BNC Certificate of Mailing that is filed in the case will reflect your email address if the notice or order was emailed to you.  A Certificate of Mailing must include the party’s name and the address where they were served.

I accidentally deleted an email.  Can the notice be resent to me?
Neither the Court nor the BNC can resend notices.  If you accidentally deleted a notice, you should contact your attorney, or you may contact the Court for further directions on how to obtain another copy of the notice.

I filed jointly with my spouse.  Do we both have to request DeBN?
No, both debtors do not have to request service via DeBN in a joint case. A joint debtor enrolled in DeBN will receive notices from the Court via email while the other debtor will receive notices via U.S. mail.

I filed jointly with my spouse.  Can we both use the same e-mail address?
Yes, joint debtors separately enrolled in BeBN can use the same email address for receipt of Court notices and orders.

What should I do if I change my e-mail address?
You should immediately file with the Court, either on your own or through your attorney, an updated DeBN form.  Once the Court has processed your request, you will receive an email from the BNC at both your old and new email addresses advising you that your DeBN account has been updated. 

What should I do if I move?
You or your attorney should file a notice of change of address with the Court.  The Clerk’s Office will make the necessary changes to both your bankruptcy case and your DeBN account.  You will then receive an email from the BNC advising you that your DeBN account has been updated. 

What should I do if I want to reactivate my DeBN account?
You must complete, sign and file an updated DeBN form, check-marking the section to request reactivation of your account.  Once the Clerk’s Office processes your request, you will receive an automated email from the BNC advising you that your DeBN account has been activated.

Why did I stop receiving my notices via e-mail?

There are several reasons why this may have occurred, including:

1.  If your name and address in the case do not match your DeBN account, then the notice or order will be delivered to you via U.S. mail.  If you recently filed a change of address with the Court and did not receive an email from the BNC advising you that your DeBN account was updated, please contact the Clerk’s Office for assistance.

2.  Your DeBN account may have been disabled due to an email bounce-back (undeliverable email).  If this occurred, you must file an updated DeBN form to reactivate your DeBN account. 

Who do I contact if I have additional questions about DeBN?
Please contact the Clerk’s Office if you have any questions about the DeBN program or the status of your DeBN account.  Do not contact the BNC, or reply to emails you receive from the BNC.  Those BNC e-mail accounts are used for the sole purpose of sending emails, and the inboxes are not monitored.