You are here

How can I verify if someone has filed a bankruptcy case?

Telephone: Voice Case Information System (McVCIS) is a free service that allows callers to access case information 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from any touch tone telephone. VCIS can be accessed by calling (866) 222-8029. Just follow the voice instructions provided. You may also call the office where the case was filed and speak to a Case Manager about the case.

Internet Access: Electronic case information and documents may be retrieved using the internet, via Public Access to Court Electronic Records web site (PACER). For registration information, please call the PACER Service Center at (800) 676-6856 or go to their web site .  Registered agencies or individuals can access the PACER system for the Southern District of Indiana at There is also a national U.S. Party/Case Index at

In Person: Public access computers are available for use at no charge at the Clerk’s Office. Bankruptcy documents may be viewed in person and retrieved for printing or copying. Exact change is required. Click on the link to get to our fee schedule for printing and copying fees


Click here to return to Clerk's Office Frequently Asked Questions.