Notice of Appeal

Official Procedure Last Change February 18, 2020

Notice of Appeal

How to file:

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Appeals & Withdrawals of Reference > Notice of Appeal or Notice of Appeal, Amended

Things to be aware of when filing: A copy of the order or judgment being appealed must be attached to the Notice.

  • 28 USC 1930 - Bankruptcy Fees in accordance with the Judicial Conference Schedule of Fees, ¶14
  • FRBP 8002 - 8004

General Information

Full information on the Appeals process

  • In order to appeal an order or judgment entered by the Bankruptcy Court, a Notice of Appeal must be filed within 14 days of entry of the order being appealed. If more time is needed to file the Notice of Appeal, a Motion to Extend Time to Appeal Under Rule 8002(c) should be filed.
  • If filing an Amended Notice of Appeal (for instance, to cure a deficiency as advised by the Court), the Notice of Appeal, Amended event should be used in order to prevent ECF from charging a second filing fee.
  • A notice of appeal may relate to more than one order or judgment.

Filing requirements

  • An Appeal Filing (including any Cross Appeal and/or Joint Appeal) requires a docketing fee for all filers except the United States (e.g. US Trustee). This fee is required for any Notice of Appeal, regardless of whether it is a Cross Appeal or a Joint Appeal. View current fees
  • The Notice of Appeal must be filed using Official Form 417A.
  • The Notice must be signed by the filing party.
  • A copy of the order or judgment being appealed must be attached to the Notice. 

Step-by-Step Instructions

 1. Log into CM/ECF.

2. Select Bankruptcy > Appeals & Withdrawals of Reference.

3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.

4. Select Notice of Appeal from the event list and click Next.

Note: If filing an Amended Notice of Appeal, you must choose Notice of Appeal, Amended from the event list to prevent ECF charging a second filing fee.

5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys, click Next.

6. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.

Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.

7. Browse to select the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.

8. Check the appropriate box next to the order or judgment that you are appealing and click Next.

9. Fee information is displayed. Click Next.

10. If you have already filed a Motion for Leave to Appeal, or are planning to, select the second radio button. Otherwise choose the first radio button. Click Next.

11. If you selected the first radio button in the above step, the Appellant Designation deadline is displayed. Click Next.

12. Select prefix text, if applicable, and click Next.

13. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).

Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.