Corrected Statement of Social Security Number

Official Procedure Last Change September 15, 2016

Corrected Statement of Social Security Number

How to file:

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Schedules/Statement of Financial Affairs/Initial Required Documents > Statement of Social Security Number

Things to be aware of when filing: If the court has already issued the Notice of Meeting of Creditors, the debtor is responsible for distributing a copy of the Notice of Corrected SSN to all creditors, and filing a certificate of service with the court.

General Information

  • If a case was filed with an incorrect Social Security Number and the Clerk has not yet issued the notice of creditor's meeting (341 Notice), the Debtor shall alert the Clerk by telephone to determine the necessary steps to correct the error prior to issuance of the meeting notice. If the notice of the creditors’ meeting has already been issued, the Debtor shall file a Corrected Statement of Social Security Number along with a Certificate of Service showing service of Notice of Corrected SSN/ITIN to all creditors, Trustee and US Trustee. The Certificate of Service can be filed in the same document as the Corrected Statement of Social Security Number, or separately using the Certificate of Service menu option.
  • If the last four digits of the SSN shown on the Voluntary Petition are also incorrect, an Amended Petition must be filed showing the correct last four digits.
  • The Corrected Social Security Statement is not viewable by the public on the docket.

Filing requirements 

Step-by-Step Instructions

1. Log into CM/ECF.

2. Select Bankruptcy > Schedules/Statement of Financial Affairs/Initial Required Documents.

3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next.

4. Select Statement of Social Security Number from the event list and click Next.

5. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys, click Next.

6. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, or cannot be selected, view instructions on adding a new party. Click Next.

Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.

7. Browse to select the document to be filed (pdf file). Click Next.

8. Since this is a correction to the previously filed Statement of Social Security Number, select yes. If this is the initial Statement, please see procedure – Statement of Social Security Number

9. Corrected Statement  should be related to most recently filed Statement of Social Security Number. Click Next.

10. Select appropriate radio button and click Next.

Note: If the 341 has been issued, the filing party is responsible for serving a copy of a Notice of Corrected SSN/ITIN on all creditors and filing a certificate of service with the court. This certificate of service may be included with this filing or filed separately using the Certificate of Service event. The SSN Statement cannot be included in the PDF when using the Certificate of Service event.

11. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).

Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.