Motion to Reopen Case


How to file:

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Reopen Bankruptcy Case, Motion to


Things to be aware of when filing: There is no need to reopen a closed bankruptcy case in order to file a reaffirmation agreement on that case, unless a court order and/or hearing will be needed, nor to redact a document already filed on the case (for example, by filing a Motion to Remove).



11 U.S.C. 350(b); 28 U.S.C. 1930(a)

FRBP: 4007(b), 5010

General Information


Filing Requirements


Fee Information

Note: This exemption is inapplicable to cases closed or dismissed because the debtor failed to certify it underwent the required debtor education course.


Step-by-Step Instructions

1. Log into CM/ECF


2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs


3. Enter the case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next


NOTE.   Motion cannot be filed if the case is not closed (CLOSED ON mm/dd/yyyy will appear after the case name at the top of the screen if the case is closed).


4. Select Reopen Bankruptcy Case, Motion to from the event list. Click Next


5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.


6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next.


7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next


NOTE: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.


8. Select the party filer.  If the party is not listed, click on Add/Create New Party. Click Next


Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.


9. Browse to select the Motion (pdf file).  Click Next


10. A message about filing fees is displayed.  If the fee is not necessary, the filing party must e-mail the court prior to paying the fee and ask that the fee be removed.  If the case is a chapter 7 or 13 and the motion is filed by the trustee, the trustee may defer the fee. Click Next


11. Fee amount due is displayed. Click Next


12. If the case was filed prior to October 12, 2004, a  message is displayed stating that the filing party may be charged an Retrieval of a record from the Federal Record Center Fee if the file must be retrieved from the Federal Archives.  The judge determines if the file is needed. Click Next


13. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next


14. Enter additional text, if desired, and/or select prefix text and click Next


Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended. The additional text option is not always available.


15. Verify final docket text. If correct, click Next to submit and to review Notice of Electronic Filing.



Curing a Deficiency

An amended Motion fixing the deficiency must be filed before the Court will consider the Motion to Reopen.