Involuntary Summons Service Certificate of Service


How to file:

Location of event: Bankruptcy > File Involuntary Bankruptcy Case & Pleadings > File Pleadings in Involuntary Case > Involuntary Summons Certificate of Service




General information

Once the court has prepared and docketed the summons, the petitioning creditor is responsible for serving a copy of the summons on the debtor. Once this has been done, the party that served the summons must file a certificate of service using the instructions below.

CM/ECF automatically calculates the due date for the debtor's answer to be filed as 21 days after the date service was made.


Filing Requirements


Step-by-Step Instructions

  1. Log into CM/ECF

  2. Select Bankruptcy > File Involuntary Bankruptcy Case & Pleadings... > File Pleadings in Involuntary Case

  3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx) and click Next

  4. Select Involuntary Summons Certificate of Service from the event list and click Next

  5. External Users Only: Check box if jointly filing with another attorney. Click Next. If jointly filing, select additional attorneys and click Next

  1. Select the party filer and click Next.  If the party is not listed, click on Add/Create New Party

Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association.


  1. Browse to select the document (pdf file).  Click Next

  2. Enter date of service. Click Next

  3. Due date for involuntary answer is calculated and displayed. Click Next

  4. Check box(es) next to appropriate docket entry to which this filing relates and click Next

  5. If applicable, select prefix text and/ or insert text in text field click Next

  6. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).

Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.



Curing Deficiencies

If the Certificate of Service is deficient: A new Certificate of Service, fixing deficient items, must be filed prior to the deficiency deadline or the case may be referred to the judge.