Proofs of Claim


How to file:

Location of event: Bankruptcy > Claims > File Claims


Things to be aware of when filing: When choosing the creditor from the drop-down list, be sure to choose the correct creditor, and to update the address if necessary. The court will not make corrections if the necessary changes are not made.




FRBP 2002(g), 3001, 5003(b)


General Information:



Filing Requirements

Proofs of Claims must be filed using Official Form B410, or in a format that substantially complies to that form. (Not required if using the court's ePOC system, since that system generates the form in response to information entered by the filer.)

If the claim is secured by a security interest in a debtor’s principal residence, Form B410A must be filed along with the Proof of Claim form.

Note: After filling in the form, you will need to convert it to a PDF file by utilizing either Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe Writer, or some other software for making PDF files. Do not use the red Save As... button on the bottom of the form to convert to PDF. Instead, use the Print button and choose your PDF writing software as the printer. You will then be given the option to name and save the PDF file to disk, which you will attach in Step 9 below.



Step-by-Step Instructions


1. Log into CM/ ECF



If you do not have a login for CM/ECF, the easiest way to file a Proof of Claim or amend an existing claim is to use the court's ePOC system, which allows any creditor to prepare and file a claim online. View instructions on filing a claim using ePOC


If you have a CM/ECF login, the following instructions may be used instead.



2. Click Bankruptcy > Claims... > File Claims


3. Enter case number (in the format xx-xxxxx). If filing an amended claim, check the Filing an amended claim box.


4. Click Next


Note: If the case number you entered refers to a case that is either closed or has been transferred to another court (or office within this court), a warning message is displayed. Make sure that you entered the correct case number before proceeding.


5. If you are filing a claim for an administrative expense, click Add Creditor, enter the creditor name and address in the large text box, select the Yes radio button, then click Next then Submit. Now skip to step 7.


Note: If the creditor name is already listed on the case, you will still need to add it again in order to file an administrative claim. However, CM/ECF will not allow you to add an exact duplicate of a creditor already on the case. Therefore, you will need to ensure that the creditor name and address that you adding differs by at least one character from the record already on the case (e.g. enter Drive instead of Dr).


Note: Before choosing this option, review information in General Information above to make sure that the qualifications are met for filing your claim as an Administrative Claim.


6. Click the drop down list to display all creditors in the case, or if filing an amended claim, all the creditors in the case that have previously filed claims.






7. Select correct filing party from the Filed By: drop-down box


8. If this is an Amended Claim:

a. Click the Find button to show all claims filed in the case, and click on the claim number of the claim that is being amended.


Note: You must click the Find button even if you already know the number of the claim you are amending. You cannot just type the number into the box.


b. All the information from the original claim will be shown. To remove the information that is being amended, click on the appropriate radio button at the bottom of the screen


9.  In the Amount Claimed box, enter the total amount of the claim (as shown in question 7 of the claim form).


10. If any part of the claim total is secured, enter the secured amount in the Secured box (as shown in Amount of the claim that is secured in question 9 of the claim form). Any amount entered in this box should not be more than the amount entered in the previous step.


11. If any part of the claim total is priority, enter the amount entitled to priority in the Priority box (as shown in question 12 of the claim form). Any amount entered in this box should not be more than the amount entered in step 9.


12. Browse to select correct pdf. Click Next


Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing screen will display and provide information regarding the completed filing.)



Curing Deficiencies

If a Proof of Claim contains errors, it can be remedied by filing an Amended Proof of Claim using the instructions above.


If a Proof of Claim contains personal identifiers such as complete Social Security numbers and you wish to request the Court to remove it, follow the instructions in Motion to Remove (if you were the party that filed the claim in question), or Motion for Protective Order (if the claim was filed by another party).