CM/ECF or Pacer Login

Voice Case Information System (VCIS)
What is VCIS?



Attorney Information

Frequently Asked Questions

DISCLAIMER: While the information presented below is accurate as of the date of publication, it should not be cited or relied upon as legal authority. It is highly recommended that legal advice be obtained from a bankruptcy attorney or legal association. For filing requirements, please refer to the United States Bankruptcy Code (title 11, United States Code), the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure (Bankruptcy Rules), and the Local Rules for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana. Finally, if you do not understand terms used in these questions and responses, many of them are defined in Bankruptcy Basics issued by the Administrative Office of the Courts. Click here to view the Bankruptcy Basics Video (10/24/08).

Click on any question below to view the answer.


What are office hours for the Bankruptcy Clerk?
The Indianapolis, Evansville and New Albany offices are open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. The Terre Haute office is not regularly staffed and documents should be delivered to Evansville. After 4:00 PM, the Bankruptcy Clerk may not be able to process new cases until the next business day.
What is the Adversary filing fee?
Please click here for a complete schedule of Bankruptcy fees.
How do I get copies? Or certified copies?

For cases filed since 2004, you may visit the Clerk's office and locate the case number and document number(s) at no cost on the public computer terminals. You may print the pages for a fee of $0.10 per page. You may also mail a written request, with a photocopy fee of $ 0.50 cents per page if you know the exact number of pages, case number and document number(s). If the document number or number of pages is unknown, first you will need to send a written request with a $30.00 search fee. Once you know the docket number and the number of pages, then you may mail a written request with a photocopy fee of $0.50 per page. If a certified copy is required, an additional fee of $11.00 will apply.

All written requests should include the case name, case number, filing date, and the title of the specific documents which you wish to have copied. In addition, please include your name, address and daytime telephone number. Mail your request to the Clerk's Office with a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for return mailing.

The Court accepts exact change; debit cards; a bank cashier's check or money order made payable to: Clerk, United States Bankruptcy Court. No personal checks or credit cards will be accepted from Debtor(s).

How do I change an address?
For Non-Electronic Filers: An Address Change must be submitted in writing and signed by the filing party. You should clearly indicate the new address and the old address to minimize confusion. Electronic Filers should review the Change of Address section in the Procedures Manual.
How much are filing fees?
Fees vary depending on the type of case and item filed. For complete information, click here.
How do I obtain a refund of filing fee?

Request for refunds must be in the form of a motion and must be filed with the Court, either electronically or in writing. If submitted in writing by mail, the mailing address is: United States Bankruptcy Court, 46 East Ohio Street, Room 116, Indianapolis IN 46204.

Upon receipt of the motion, the order will be routed to the appropriate judge. If the refund is approved by the judge, a check will be mailed to the requestor, or a credit will be issued to the credit card account if the fee was paid by credit card. Click here for more information.

What is the policy on refunds?

The Judicial Conference prohibits refunding fees due upon filing, even if the party filed the case in error, and even if the Court dismisses the case or proceeding. However, the clerk must refund any fee collected without authority. For example, the clerk has no authority to collect a fee to reopen a case unless the case is closed. Consequently, the clerk must refund a fee to reopen if the parties discover later that the case was open.

Refunding Fees Paid Electronically: The Court may refund CM/ECF electronic payments under certain circumstances. Contact the Financial Office at 317.229.3800, or via email at

What is the judgment interest rate?
The post judgment rate is calculated and published by the US Treasury. For more information, click here.
How can I get copies of a case that is several years old?
If the case was filed after 2004, the files are available electronically for printing. The PACER Service Center provides public access at 10 cents per page, with the fee waived if the quarterly total is under $15.00. Information available at or at 1.800.676.6856. You may also access the files free at the clerk's office on public terminals, and pay $.10 per page to print. If the case is older and not available electronically, it may have been moved to the National Archives and Records Administration facility in the Chicago Area. You may request copies of the file directly from the National Archives in Chicago.
How do I get a PACER login?
Contact the PACER Service Center at, or by telephone at 1.800.676.6856. In order to obtain a PACER login and password, complete the on-line PACER Registration Form. Once your registration has been processed by the PACER Service Center, a login and password can be retrieved on-line if a credit card is provided, or sent by U.S. mail to the address provided on the registration form.
How do I get a ECF login?

Attorney and Limited User Training and Registration information may be found on our web site at: You may also refer to the Procedures Manual section titled "Getting Started/Registration"at:

Please email your questions to

How do I assure that Court email is received by my E-mail?

To assure receipt of Court email, add the following two email addresses to your email contacts list to allow them to come through your spam blocker.


Many users setup an ECF email account to receive all electronic correspondence with the Court and enable multi-user access to it to ensure it is checked regularly.

How do I convert a Creditor Matrix to a text (.txt) file?
From the word processing software you are utilizing:
Select File-Save As- and type in the name of the file. Select "text" or "plain text", whichever option is available.
What are some keyboard shortcuts?
Time saving short cuts for Microsoft and Apple are available on their web sites. Go to Microsoft or Apple for information.
What are the scanning guidelines?
A scanner will be necessary if you wish to include existing paper documents with the electronic document you file, for instance you can attach a copy of a contract to a Proof of Claim. You may need software to convert the scanned image to portable document format (PDF).

Note that 10.0 MB is the size limit for each file uploaded. Follow the instructions with your scanner, saving the document in PDF format and in a directory where it will be accessible. The scanned file can then be attached electronically to documents filed in ECF as described in the Procedures Manual.

If you are having problems with this site, please contact webmaster.
Copyright © 2011 US Bankruptcy Court - Southern District of Indiana | All Rights Reserved
Last Updated: 7 January 2016